Never Ending Yard Work
As I hinted at in the last post, I have a big yard to take care of. Before I go on, I want to make it clear, I’m very grateful to live in a beautiful neighborhood and have a beautiful yard. But I’m trying to come to terms with that it takes 100s of hours to maintain it each year. I have almost two acres and most of it is lawn or beds of some kind. It’s been a very cold Spring so I’m way behind, plus the training for the half marathon took up a lot of time (after running for 1.5 – 2 hours, yard work was the last thing on my mind most weekends).
This year it is time to mulch, it’s been three years for some beds, two for others. I have beds with flowers, fruit trees, berry bushes and 2 long hedges, all which need new mulch. We used to have a truck and pick up it ourselves, 2 yards at a time. Plus there used to be two of us doing the work… So, since delivery costs almost $100 I ordered the maximum that a tri axle truck can deliver, 18 yards. I’m hoping it’s going to be enough… So now I’ve spent the last two days cleaning out beds and moving mulch. I’m nowhere near done.
Here is a list of things that I still need to do this spring:
– at least 4 more days of mulching
– clean out all the leaves from the vegetable beds
– turn over the soil in all the vegetable beds
– decide what vegetables to plant (this year I skipped planting seedlings inside, normally I have 70-100 seedlings growing inside by this time, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, jalapenos etc) and buy all the seeds and plant
– power wash and sand down my deck and stain it (it’s been 3 years and it really needs to be done)
– put up the canopy of the gazebo tent on top of the deck once it is stained and dried
– clean up around the pool, remove all leaves and sweep the pool deck
– move all the patio furniture out (both on deck and by the pool)
– turn on the water for the pool house (which means that in the Fall I have to winterize that house…)
– order 3/4 inch crushed stone, probably 2 tons to finish work that the ex started and never finished
– mow the lawn (and after that it’s a weekly 1.5 hour job)
– trim all the lawn’s edges (me and my trimmer spend about 1 hour / week doing this)
Like I said, big yard, lots of work. Just making the list makes me tired. Is this really how I want to spend my time?